Top 5 most harrowing kids’ films
On Tuesday just passed, I went to see Toy Story 3 with my boyfriend. I’d heard that the film could move you to tears. And I cried all right!
Please don’t read ahead if you don’t want to know what happens in Toy Story 3.
At one point in the film, Andy’s toys have mistakenly been taken to the local dump. A series of unfortunate events ensues, until they find themselves just moments away from death. As a huge pile of rubbish slides unerringly towards a massive pit of fire, the toys accept their fate and stop struggling. They all reach to hold hands with one another, seeking comfort in their last moments from the people they love the most.
Out of all the films I’ve ever seen (especially kids films I might add), this was one of the most harrowing moments I’ve encountered. To put yourself in the shoes of those toys is to feel the terror of your impending death, and accepting that you can’t do anything about it.
This got me to thinking about what other movie moments in kids films have stuck with me due to their harrowing nature.
An incredibly popular kids film in the 80’s, The Labrinyth (for me) was a film I couldn’t watch again until I was 20 years old. And I didn’t like it much then. This is the reason:
Sorry for the small picture but it’s the best I could find. If you don’t recognise it, this is the scene were the main protagonist, Sarah, enters a door to then find herself falling through thousands of grabbing-hands coming out of the walls. Even looking at that picture now makes me shudder.
The Never Ending Story
I love this film. I think it’s incredible – but also, not so great for kids. Here are the most harrowing moments for me:
- Artex (the horse) drowns in the Swamp of Despair. Atreyu cries and begs the horse to move as he sinks deeper into the mud, until he slips away. His best friend. DEAD. Even looking at the picture chokes me up!
- Gmork – a vicious wolf-like creature sent to kill Atreyu. I’m just going to post the picture; I think you’ll get it.
- ‘The Nothing’. A storm that is gradually eating away at this other plane of reality, as a result of young people’s imaginations no longer being active enough. Pretty scary stuff. (See example of ‘The Nothing’ behind the Rock Biter.)
- Topless blue Sphynxes that laser you when you run between them. While their FACES FALL OFF.
- As some light relief, I came across this picture on Google Images, which made me lol.
As far as I’m aware, lots of people love this film. I do not. This is why:
This picture makes me feel physically unwell. That is all.
I don’t know about any of you, but as a young child, my ultimate worst (and possibly only) fear, was that my Mum would die. So, to make sure I didn’t have to imagine too hard about how that might feel, Disney put it into a cartoon for me! Thanks, Bambi.
These, in my experience, are some of the films that I know had a profound effect on me. I’d love to hear about yours, and maybe you’ll spark my memory so I can add some more to the list!
Filed under: General | 11 Comments
Tags: bambi, harrowing kids films, the goonies, the labrinyth, the never ending story, toy story 3